Sunday, January 20, 2008

Survival Mode....but loving it!



Survival Mode...that is how we have been living for the past week! Until last night I think I have been running on about three hours of sleep a night (after a week, that really starts to catch up with you!). Last night was my first night to get 4-5 hours of straight sleep, and I feel like a new woman today! Let me give you a recap of the week:

The babies are doing great. They came home last Saturday afternoon. I think the only thing scarier than leaving the hospital with a new baby is leaving with two. (We are supposed to take care of these? At the same time?!) They have to be fed every three hours, which I was very anal and exact about for the weekend, and then relaxed a little when we took them into the pediatrician on Monday and saw that they are gaining weight just fine (Wyatt at 5 lbs and Brynley at 5 lbs. 8 oz.). Now I am only semi-anal. :) I did stop setting my alarm at night to get up to feed them. Sure, they still wake up about every three hours, and have their days and nights mixed up, but as long as they get in their 8 feedings a day, I am a little more relaxed about letting them sleep (and letting me sleep). My parents were here for a while, both while they were int he hospital and then after they came home. Between Josh and I and my parents, we were able to get them fed, changed, and burped in pretty good time. So, basically, if I can have a team of four people on hand, I can manage. After they left, I had a little nervous breakdown, then pulled myself together and things have gone pretty well. Josh's mom came on Saturday, which has been fabulous to have the extra pair of hands and loves on hand to help us.



Parker has been great with all of these changes. Here he is in his favorite new toy, the bouncy seat. He can almost catapult (spelling?) himself out of it. He absolutely loves the babies, which is great, but was a slight problem when he came down with the croup the first night the babies were home (yes, just to make that night even MORE exciting for us!). We had to spend the next few days trying to keep him away from the babies and from giving them hugs and kisses, which he was not happy about. I feel bad that we had to confuse him so much : "Look Parker, here are your new brother and sister, don't you LOVE them? Come here, give them a kiss." "Wait Parker, stay in your room and watch another video because you are sick, and don't touch the babies!" Poor kid! :) He is better now and has been so loving and cute with them. He likes to drive his hot wheels all over them, and to help burp them the best.







Here are a few more pictures. Wyatt (on the left)has the biggest, roundest, most exploring eyes. He can already lift his head up and look around. Yes, an overachiever! Brynley is an overachiever at sleeping, especially during the day. She still makes the cutest cooing sounds, and could also challenge any grown man in a burp or farting contest. (How does that come out of something so small!?)I am hoping this week they will do better at the day-night cycle, but I know that can take some time. They have not even hit their actual due date yet, so any progress in that area is good at this point. THey are really sweet babies, very good natured and happy, especially when being held or rocked. Our family has truly been "double-y" blessed.






15 comments:

Joel said...

Frickin' cute! I can't wait to hold these two (and Parker) this summer. Good luck with everything!

Beth said...

I'm glad you're doing well! They are so beautiful, and I'm excited for any chance you get to post pictures, though I understand if you'd rather rest. :)

Sam said...

Wow. I can't even imagine taking care of two! You are amazing. I hope this week goes great for you guys, and that Parker stays healthy. Love the pictures of the babies -- they are darling.

The Millers

michelle manning said...

They are so precious. What lucky little kids to have you for a mommy!

Cheramie said...

poor parker with the croup-and on top of two new babies, what a wild ride! i'm pretty sure that you and josh can now conquer the world after that experience. those babies are beautiful.

Steve said...

You've sure got a couple of cuties Jenni! I'm so glad Parker has been so happy to have them around. Please let us know when you need help with Parker, the twins, or that other stuff that doesn't get done because you now have three kids instead of just one. I can't wait to see them! You're such a SuperMom!

Leah said...

Oh Jenni they are so very very cute. Are you doing ok? I wish I could be there to help you. We love you!

Valerie Chandler said...

So so glad that to see the babies here, and home, and healthy. They are so cute!

Jenni, you did so well! You were so brave. Hoping you are feeling well physically.

Love to you-- Valerie Chandler

Joel said...

PS - I'm tagging you. See my blog for details...I know it might take you a while to get around to it. :)

Leah said...

rats I tagged you too sorry I do understand how busy you are love ya!

Zimm said...

Hey Jenni, it's Dylan. Remember me? :-) I worked my way through the Karpowitz-blog-o-sphere, and found your site. Those kids are awesome! I remember when Joel told me you had twins. I'm glad to hear you survived (so far)!

Linda Hall said...

I've only been home a few days and I miss those kids like crazY! All 3 of them are so cute! Parker cracks me up on how well he can talk. The babies are so sweet. I hope they start sleeping a little longer each day so you both can get more rest. Your are great parents. Larry and I love you all so much.
Love, Mom/Grandma

Lindsey S. said...

I think I show everyone these pictures! Thanks to my phone I pull them up all the time for people so they can see how cute they really are! We miss you guys! Josh I hope you had a good birthday! Like you I thought of calling all day. I got some medicine from being sick and it nocked me out by 8 that night! lOVE YOU GUYS!

The Millers said...

I am putting in a request for more pictures. Surely you guys are taking a ton of pictures of those babies. I want to see some of them.
Rachel

The Millers said...

Hey, I heard you guys are back home. I am so sorry to hear about the babies, and especially sweet little Wyatt. I hope that he is doing all right, and gets the feeding tube out soon. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.